Here’s a list of foods that promote dental health:
- Milk and Dairy Products. Calcium keeps our bones and teeth enamel strong. Milk and other dairy products like cheese and yogurt contain calcium. Cheese, particularly, has casein (a type of protein) that when combined with calcium helps stabilize and repair tooth enamel.
- Lean Protein. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs are rich in phosphorous and protein that help in strengthening teeth by restoring its enamel.
- Fruits and Vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are essential to have a balanced diet. These foods do not only encourage good digestion and healthy cholesterol levels. They are also great for your teeth. They contain high levels of water and fiber to keep their sugar balanced, and require a lot of chewing that help in cleaning your teeth. Chewing helps stimulate the production of saliva that helps in washing away food particles and harmful acids from the teeth. So instead of munching on junk foods, start munching apples, carrots, and celery. Eat a lot of leafy vegetables, too.
- Healthy Nuts. Nuts, particularly cashews, are good for your teeth. They require lots of chewing that encourage the production of saliva and so cleanses your mouth naturally. Studies have shown that cashew nut shell oil contains microbe-fighting properties that fight the bacteria that causes tooth decay.
- Water. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water, particularly fluoridated water. Water with fluoride is the best beverage for oral health because fluoride helps the teeth to be more resistant to acid attacks that can lead to cavities.
Finally, a regular checkups with your dentist will eliminate early signs of dental problems and keep your teeth healthy. Call Voyles Family Dental to schedule a regular cleaning today!